COMPLAINT DEPARTMENT CLOSED

DAY 66: Generally speaking I would say that my children are honest. Still, on any given day I could walk into my house and hear my kids complaining about each other with completely different versions of the same event. They couldn't both be right.  Other times they might complain about something that happened at school.  This teacher gave a test but didn't tell anyone what was on it.  Or that coach refuses to give fair playing time even though they did everything they were told.  Not surprisingly, after a thorough mom-investigation, I almost always determined that the facts were not exactly as they reported.  Often, their emotions and their one-sided view skewed the facts and exaggerated their complaints.


 I might be outraged If I hadn't experienced the same 3D view of things: that's the  Disaster, Discouraged and Depressed view When emotions get involved, the facts often go out the window.


I can not only see myself in my kids, but I can see myself in the newly freed nation of Israel as they continued their trek across the dessert in Number 11.  They finally had all God's law in hand, the Tabernacle was complete and they were on the move again toward the land God had promised to give them.  You would think that they would be optimistic and hopeful.  After all, they were no longer slaves, they had an inspiring leader, and God had so far taken care of every need of the almost two million strong nation.  You'd think. 

Instead of looking forward with trust and anticipation, "The people soon began to complain to the Lord about their hardships." Even with God's care, I'm sure they did have hardships.  They lived in constant transition.  The passed often through enemy territories.  There were no tangible supplies to depend on; only the day by day provision of manna.  Undoubtedly some were fearful of the uncertainties.  Others were no doubt weary.  Tempers and emotions were probably fragile as they all learned to find a new normal from the life they left behind.

4 Then the foreign rabble who were traveling with the Israelites began to crave the good things of Egypt. And the people of Israel also began to complain. “Oh, for some meat!” they exclaimed. 5 “We remember the fish we used to eat for free in Egypt. And we had all the cucumbers, melons, leeks, onions, and garlic we wanted. 6 But now our appetites are gone. All we ever see is this manna!”

The people were more than just emotional.  They were loosing it!  Notice what they forget to mention.  Yes, they had meat in Egypt... but free?  I guess if you don't consider paying for it with your life as a slave it was free.  Were the fruits and veggies so wonderful in Pharaoh's land that it made their forced labor, abuse, and oppression inconsequential. And hadn't they rejoiced not long ago about the miracle of the manna that appeared for them from heaven every single morning saving them from starvation?   Funny how they forgot all of that in the emotional fog of their current complaints.  They had the blessings, but they did not give thanks for it.

They are not the only ones to skew reality.  Moses, furious about their attitude, takes some of his own complaints directly to God.  

And Moses said to the LORD, “Why are you treating me, your servant, so harshly? . . . What did I do to deserve the burden of all these people? 12 Did I give birth to them? Did I bring them into the world? . . . How can I carry them to the land you swore to give their ancestors? 

Even Moses, in the frenzy of his emotions lost sight of reality. Did he say, "the land you swore to give THEIR ancestors?"  Am I missing something?  Aren't THEIR ancestors also Moses' ancestors? He goes on to have a bit of a melt down begging God to just kill him if this is what he had to endure.  

It is a good thing God is patient. God is kind. God is long-suffering. GOD WAS ANGRY!  In response to their whining and complaining He displayed His anger by burning the edges of the encampments.  Then, to show them their foolish hearts, He gave them exactly what they wanted... meat, more meat, and so much meat they would beg for just one vegan day. 

GOD SAID: For You will eat it for a whole month until you gag and are sick of it. For you have rejected the LORD, who is here among you...

And there we have it.  Their complaints may have appeared to be against their circumstances, but God strips it bare and reveals the truth: they rejected the Lord.  

My head spins with all the take-away lessons God has in this four-thousand year old story.   

  • First, emotions and unhappiness can completely distort reality. 
  • Second, complaints have a destructive effect.  
  • Third, God is rightly angry with complaining because it is a rejection of Him.  It reveals \ lack of trust and disdain for His plan for my life. 
  • Fourth, a sure cure for my complaints is to remember with thanks what God has already done for me.
  • Finally, when my version of reality appears 3D (disastrous, discouraging and depressing) ... my version is wrong.  To see clearly, I only need to hear what the Lord has to say.
Complaining is not a small matter to God, 
and it should not be a small matter to me.

Day 66 of 365
Numbers 10
Numbers 11:1-23
Mark 14:1-21
Psalm 51:1-19
Proverbs 10:31-32

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST WORD

BIG FAT NO!

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT