THE TURN AROUND FACTOR

DAY 111: A few years ago I was making the 6 hour drive home from Oklahoma City after a women's event.  I was tired and it was pouring down rain.  I pulled off the highway about two hours into the trip to get gas and grab coffee.  The rain hadn't let up and while my wipers could barely keep the flood off my windshield I got back on the road anxious to get home.  It was about an hour later before the weather finally let up.  I drove another 20 miles when I passed a sign that read: Oklahoma City 30 Miles.  In my exhaustion and with the visibility being hampered by the weather, I had gotten confused and drove about 75 miles in the wrong direction. I was headed back to where I had just left!  As soon as I saw the sign and understood the reality, I turned around.  With clear vision, I knew that road was not going to get me where I needed to be - home!

That little road trip has served as a metaphor in my life for all the places I have needed to turn around and head in the right direction. Turning around is what meeting Jesus is all about - something I was reminded of again today as I read the last chapter of Luke. 

On the same day of Jesus resurrection two of his followers were walking to the village of Emmaus.  They had likely left Jerusalem on the heels of Jesus arrest and execution.  If you were closely associated with someone declared a criminal and a blasphemer who had just been executed you might think it best to relocate for a while.  At the very least they were discouraged, and at most afraid for their lives. Certainly we know they were confused. 

As they were walking away, Jesus (whom they did not recognize) appeared and walked with them, asking why they looked so concerned.  They explained to their new Companion all that had happened in Jerusalem over the past few days.

Luke 24: 21 “(Jesus) was a prophet, powerful in word and deed before God and all the people. 20 The chief priests and our rulers handed him over to be sentenced to death, and they crucified him; 21 but we had hoped that he was the one who was going to redeem Israel. And what is more, it is the third day since all this took place." 

They had pinned their hopes on a "prophet," a "powerful" man who seemed to have favor even with God.  They even hoped that he would be the Messiah they believed would come to set Israel free from the Romans. But their expectations came crashing down when circumstances took a different turn.  Jesus was killed.  His followers scattered. Rome still ruled.  In their disappointment they headed in another direction, even as they heard some unbelievable reports.

22 In addition, some of our women amazed us. They went to the tomb early this morning 23 but didn’t find his body. They came and told us that they had seen a vision of angels, who said he was alive. 24 Then some of our companions went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said, but they did not see Jesus.” 

They had no idea what to do or what to think.  So they just walked away from the place of their greatest confusion.  That is where Jesus met them.  

25 He said to them, “How foolish you are, and how slow to believe all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Did not the Messiah have to suffer these things and then enter his glory?” 27 And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself. 

They thought Jesus might be a prophet.  He explained HE was who the prophets pointed to.  They thought HE was powerful in life; Jesus had power over death.  They thought Jesus had the favor of God; Jesus revealed that HE was God.  They had hoped for a Messiah to set them politically free; Jesus revealed HE came to set them spiritually free.  All that and more would have been revealed as Jesus himself "explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself." 

In an instant, their eyes were opened and finally they recognized Him - Jesus, alive!  "And at the moment he disappeared."  

What other reaction could they have but to make a complete turn-around - literally!

33 They got up and returned at once to Jerusalem. 

People turn around when they meet Jesus, the real Jesus, (not a "good man" or a "prophet" or a "religion"). When they meet the Only Begotten Son of God they turn from fear. When they meet the Firstborn of all Creation they turn from guilt. When they meet the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ they turn from sin. When they meet The Lamb Who was Slain they turn from self.  People who meet Jesus turn.

I am thankful that one day when I was very young I met Jesus My Savior on the road of my life and I turned and ran to Him.  But I am also thankful that as I meet Emmanuel, God with Us, on the roads of my everyday life He turns me around when I need it.  There are times when I am confused and I go the wrong way.  There are times when I am afraid and I take an escape route.  Then, when I least  expect it, Jesus, My Shepherd finds me and meets me, comforts me, explains to me, fellowships with me, corrects me, loves me, and turns me around.  At such times I fully understand how those guys felt when they stood on the road marveling after Him.

Luke 24:32 “Were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us on the road and opened the Scriptures to us?”
  
On days when we are too tired, or busy, or unmotivated to spend time reading the Scriptures, remember that turn-arounds happen when we meet with Jesus.  

JESUS IS THE TURN AROUND FACTOR!

Day 111 of 365
Judges 9:22-57
Judges 10
Luke 24:13-53
Psalm 100:1-5
Proverbs 14:11-12


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST WORD

BIG FAT NO!

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT