WEALTH REDISTRIBUTION

DAY 105: The latest American election cycle is long over but many of the topics at the center of debate are still going strong.

One of the topics that continues to get a great deal of attention  is the idea of "wealth redistribution."  On the surface, taking from those who have and giving to those who do not sounds "fair" but of course it is more complicated when you dig deeper.  When you begin to explore the reasons why some people have and some do not the water gets a little muddier.  For instance, is it fair to take from those who choose to work hard to give to those who choose to hardly work?  On the other hand, is it fair for someone who is completely disabled to be in want while the person who is full-bodied has unlimited possibilities?  Good people disagree on the issue and politicians know how to leverage the debate.

So who are we to listen to when the great social and political questions of our day divide us? Today, as I spent time in my daily scripture reading, the answer seemed crystal clear: listen to God!  It might not be the popular answer, but it is the starting place on any issue.  Here is what I saw: 

Having arrived in Jerusalem in pursuit of His destiny on the cross, Jesus continues using every opportunity to reveal the heart of God. As with many instances, those opportunities came as those who opposed Him tried to trap Him into saying something for which they could arrest Him. 

20 Keeping a close watch on him, they sent spies, who pretended to be sincere. They hoped to catch Jesus in something he said, so that they might hand him over to the power and authority of the governor. 21 So the spies questioned him: “Teacher, we know that you speak and teach what is right, and that you do not show partiality but teach the way of God in accordance with the truth. 22 Is it right for us to pay taxes to Caesar or not?”

The rate of taxation is not a new controversy.  For as long as governments have existed there has been a debate over how much is too much.  These "spies" felt sure that they had Jesus between a rock and a hard place.  If he said taxes were unfair, he would be an anarchist.  If he said people should not argue with the government taking their money, he would be a traitor to the people.  These crafty men knew how to leverage a difficult subject to get what they wanted - or so they thought.

Jesus, however,  "saw through their duplicity" and answered in way they did not anticipate.

 24 “Show me a denarius. Whose image and inscription are on it?”
   “Caesar’s,” they replied.
 25 He said to them, “Then give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s, and give to God what is God’s.”

Jesus' answer was His own unique form of wealth redistribution.  According the Him, some things belong to government and some things belong to God.  Our part is to "give" (or redistribute) accordingly.  If I am wise, I will have the same response to that plan as those who heard it from His own lips.

 26 And astonished by his answer, they became silent.

Two thousand years after Jesus uttered those words I am astonished as to again realize God's principals are timeless.  If God does not change (Malachi 3:6) then His principals which are based on His character also do not change.  I can choose to debate them all day long, but in the end my words will run out and God's principals will stand firm.  In relation to the idea of taxation - God makes clear that my focus is too narrow.  Governments tax - that's what they do.  And generally they handle the revenue they take from us very poorly.  I can certainly advocate for a more responsible government. Yet, if my only focus is to wrestle with government over how and when they "take" my resources, I am ignoring the greater call of God:

GIVE TO GOD WHAT IS GOD's

What is God's? What am I suppose to give?

"Every good and perfect gift comes down from the Father of Lights..." 

Every good resource I posses bears the fingerprints of God and is given into my hands to accomplish His purpose.  Instead of striving to hold on to these things, I should be striving to share them. How and when and where to share them for the maximum glory to God requires that I go the extra step to consult Him, to know His heart, to know His priorities. Then I can give with impact.

In the same days reading, but in the Old Testament passage for the day, God reinforced that "give" has always been the principal His people were to live by.  As Israel is preparing to finally settle in their assigned territories in the Promised Land, they were given this instruction:

Joshua 22:8 “Go back to your homes with the great wealth you have taken from your enemies—the vast herds of livestock, the silver, gold, bronze, and iron, and the large supply of clothing. Share the plunder with your relatives.”

WHAT???   More wealth redistribution?  There is one big difference between the government's idea of wealth redistribution and God's.  

The government's is based on mandatory TAKING, but God's is based on voluntary GIVING.  

God's desire for His people is that they would be generous.  Our generosity reflects His character in the world.  Giving to God what is God's mean redistributing the wealth of blessings entrusted to me, to those who need a share of God's goodness.  God did not give that responsibility to the government.  He gave it to me and told ME to give.  When I debate for the sake of debate, God points out my duplicity: the issue is not taxes or policy - the issue is my heart.  He calls me to give voluntarily and generously - cheerfully redistributing His blessings of every kind. And lest I think that simply paying relieves me of my personal obligation to get involved, remember God told ME to give.  The responsibility is mine. 

Good people will continue the debate over taxes and spending, but I won't debate with God about using what is HIS for HIS purposes and doing it with generosity.  God was good enough to redistribute some of His wealth to me so I only need to follow His example. 

No matter what the debate is, the first voice we should listen to is always God's.

Day 105 of 365
Joshua 21
Joshua 22:1-20
Luke 20:1-26
Psalm 89:1-13
Proverbs 13:15-16



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST WORD

BIG FAT NO!

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT