FEASTING ON SOUP

DAY 138: Twenty- seven years ago today I woke up on the morning of my wedding day to find my cat batting around a decapitated rabbit head in my bedroom.  If I were a superstitious person, I might have read something into that.  Instead, as a cat person I am all too familiar with dismembered critters that my felines bring me to show love.  In this case, my little hunter came in through an open window with his biggest prize yet to honor me on the day of my nuptials.  It freaked out my bridesmaids in the next room, but I understood the gesture.

A lot has changed since that day when my husband promised to love ME, honor ME and cherish ME.  I'm sure I made promises too, but sadly there is no video proof of that.  All I remember is that my wedding day was all about ME. 

It took a mere three days for me to realize that a happy marriage couldn't be all about me; it would mean compromise.  In the middle of our honeymoon I wanted to spend the day at the beach but my husband wanted to tour Cape Canaveral. I gave in and we went to see the  home of the space shuttle.

That was the first of many choices I would have to make over 27 years not about ME.  I can humbly report though, that my most gracious husband has yielded to bless me far more than I have yielded for him. I am fully aware of this and I most gratefully thank God for such a sacrificial husband.

In 27 years, our life has also gotten busier.  Our family of two eventually became six; plus 13 pets! Kids, careers, home, family, broken bones, animals, finances, friends, church, ministry have all made demands that have tested our commitment to one another and our patience. As they say, some days were roses and some days were manure, but to get the perfect fragrance it takes both.  The trick is to remember that both are part of the growing process, even on days when you are holding your nose.

In the end, we both have recognized that God has given us a gift - someone to be witness to our lives and share it's value.  So, I heartily agree with the proverb from the Daily Bible reading, on this my 27th wedding anniversary:

A bowl of soup with someone you love is better than a steak with someone you hate.
 (Proverb 15:17)

I'm thankful that while there have been plenty of lean "soup" days, there have also been savory "steak" days.  For us, in plenty or want, sickness or health, soup or steak, being in it together is what has nourished us.  So when I am tempted to fret over the kids, the money, the job, the yard, the whatever... I will think about this little proverbial nugget and be thankful I have someone I love to share the problems with - someone who always gives me the last bite of his chocolate cake!

Like almost every other area of life, the key to finding joy and contentment is making the focus SOMEONE not SOMETHING.  I can have all the accomplishments in the world, all the money, the fame, the comforts - but if I have not taken time to build loving relationships with friends and family, I will find sitting down to enjoy such "steaks" alone or with those who do not care at all. Such a life would be singularly unsatisfying.  On the other side, even the soupy difficulties in life can be a feast if they are shared at a table full of people I love and who love me.



Day 138 of 365
1 Samuel 20
1 Samuel 21
John 9
Psalm 113
Psalm 114:1-8
Proverbs 15:15-17

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST WORD

BIG FAT NO!

DONKEY EYES