SEEKING JUSTICE

DAY 147:   I read an article in the newspaper about a father in Phoenix who was sentenced to 60 days in jail and a fine of over $12,000 for what amounts to the crime of holding Bible studies in his home.  Of course, each side argues it's more complicated than that.  The city declares it to be a zoning violation that amounts to having a church; and the man, who is a pastor, feels his religious freedom is under fire.  I'm certainly not an expert on this particular case, but regardless of the particulars, it does highlight the fact that sometimes the just are unjustly prosecuted - and persecuted.

Take the case of Youcef Nardarkhani, the Iranian Pastor sentenced to death for the crime of apostasy against the Islamic religion.  He had been in prison for nearly 1000 days before humanitarian efforts secured his release.  The news reported: "Nadarkhani, a pastor in a network of house churches, has been jailed since being arrested on Oct. 13, 2009, after he went to his son’s school to complain about them starting mandatory Koran classes. He was then charged with apostasy from Islam. He was found guilty by the Iranian Supreme Court and sentenced to death in 2010 and has been imprisoned ever since." (Source: Joshua Rhett Miller, July 06, 2012)

Such cases seem outrageous, but as King Solomon has said, there is nothing new under the sun.  Plots and intrigues have been happening since Cain killed Able.  Certainly, since the first men and women put their faith in Christ, Christians have been on the receiving end retribution of many forms.  Surely Pastor Youcef meditates on the words of Paul as he shares the experience of contrived charges.  

As we have been reading, Paul languished two years in jail on the basis of false accusations. Finally, as the story unfolded even more today in Acts 25, we begin to see some movement.  Felix has handed over the Roman governorship to Festus and within days he is also pandering to Paul's accusers.  

 Acts 15:1 Three days after arriving in the province, Festus went up from Caesarea to Jerusalem, where the chief priests and the Jewish leaders appeared before him and presented the charges against Paul. They requested Festus, as a favor to them, to have Paul transferred to Jerusalem, for they were preparing an ambush to kill him along the way. Festus answered, “Paul is being held at Caesarea, and I myself am going there soon. Let some of your leaders come with me, and if the man has done anything wrong, they can press charges against him there.”
A few days later the trial began but none of the accusations could be proved.  
 Festus, wishing to do the Jews a favor, said to Paul, “Are you willing to go up to Jerusalem and stand trial before me there on these charges?” 

The plot seemed to be working.  You can almost imagine the smug glee on the faces of those who intended to kill him.  But God, always at work, was about to foil their plot.

 10 Paul answered: “I am now standing before Caesar’s court, where I ought to be tried. I have not done any wrong to the Jews, as you yourself know very well. 11 If, however, I am guilty of doing anything deserving death, I do not refuse to die. But if the charges brought against me by these Jews are not true, no one has the right to hand me over to them. I appeal to Caesar!” 
And with that, Festus was obligated to send Paul, a Roman citizen with protected rights, to Ceasar.  There was just one problem, Festus explained:
 But I have nothing definite to write to His Majesty about him . . . 27 For I think it is unreasonable to send a prisoner on to Rome without specifying the charges against him.

Unreasonable treatment is the perfect description of what Christians often encounter.  It may not be in a courtroom, like the family man from Phoenix, the pastor from Iran or Paul; it can be in the workplace when a person of integrity becomes a roadblock to business as usual. It can be in a relationship where one hates the light but the other reflects His light.  It can be in a community when someone is taking a stand. It can be for no explainable reason at all.  Certainly, Christians like all flawed humans also suffer for their own sinful behavior, but what should we do when it is simply because we won't compromise?  Where do we turn for justice?  Who has the power to foil the plot?

Psalm 5, also in today's daily Bible reading, gives the answer.  Perhaps these were the very words Paul relied on as he faced his own uncertain outcome. 

1 O Lord, hear me as I pray;
    pay attention to my groaning.
Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God,
    for I pray to no one but you.
Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord.
    Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.
O God, you take no pleasure in wickedness;
    you cannot tolerate the sins of the wicked.
Therefore, the proud may not stand in your presence,
    for you hate all who do evil.
You will destroy those who tell lies.
    The Lord detests murderers and deceivers.
Because of your unfailing love, I can enter your house;
    I will worship at your Temple with deepest awe.
8 Lead me in the right path, O Lord,
    or my enemies will conquer me.
Make your way plain for me to follow.
My enemies cannot speak a truthful word.
    Their deepest desire is to destroy others.
Their talk is foul, like the stench from an open grave.
    Their tongues are filled with flattery.
10 O God, declare them guilty.
    Let them be caught in their own traps.

Drive them away because of their many sins,
    for they have rebelled against you.
11 But let all who take refuge in you rejoice;
    let them sing joyful praises forever.
Spread your protection over them,
    that all who love your name may be filled with joy.

12 For you bless the godly, O Lord;
    you surround them with your shield of love.

Whether we face the plots of others or someone we care for does, God shows how to plead the case before the only true and righteous Judge. Ultimately, we do what is right no matter how we are treated, use sound judgment and put ourselves into His hands.

Day 147 of 365
1 Chronicles 4:5-43
1 Chronicles 5:1-17
Acts 25
Psalm 5:1-12
Proverbs 18:19

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST WORD

BIG FAT NO!

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT