LET GOD BE GOD

DAY 129:  Oh my goodness -  we are THAT couple - the ones whose kids have fled the nest and only have pets to greet them after a long trip.   The animals were overjoyed to see us to be sure! While we were away their entire routines were out of whack.  I wasn't here to let them in and out at will, shower them with treats or rub bellies and scratch ears.  They became THOSE pets that lived outside like strays.  They were thrilled at our return.

Still, it was a bitter sweet homecoming.  It was the first time I can remember coming home and not being greeted by at least one of our kids.  Just like I make my pets' lives possible, our kids were keenly aware that mom made their lives possible.  No one starved while I was away, but they would be the first to tell you that when I was out of town their lives did not run as smoothly.  Whether I was gone for a day or for a week, I always looked forward to their genuine glee at my return.

My daughter was the very best at making me feel wanted.  For years should would hang banners or make cards or bake me something yummy to celebrate our reunion.  Even as a teen, she made a point of officially welcoming me back to the bosom of the family. Coming home to the kids was always the very best part of every trip.  This time I came home to a note from my daughter, welcoming me back and asking me if I could babysit her ferret for a couple of weeks that she left in my laundry room.

Just when I think I have adjusted to the empty nest, a new change interrupts the uneasy truce I have with my new situation.  Coming home to an empty house was a vivid reminder that I am in the "letting go" phase of parenting.  It's necessary, it's just not easy.

I have to wonder if Paul and Barnabas felt the same way about their spiritual children.  Traveling from city to city, they preached the Good News to the Gentiles offering them a salvation found in Jesus Christ.

Acts 14:21 After preaching the Good News in Derbe (modern-day Turkey) and making many disciples, Paul and Barnabas returned to Lystra, Iconium, and Antioch of Pisidia, 22 where they strengthened the believers. They encouraged them to continue in the faith, reminding them that we must suffer many hardships to enter the Kingdom of God.

They were completely invested in the lives of these young believers.  They didn't just "give them birth" and walk away.  They made disciples. They encouraged them.  They exhorted them.  They shared hardship.  It was literally a match made in Heaven.  But one that was destined for change.  

23 Paul and Barnabas also appointed elders in every church. With prayer and fasting, they turned the elders over to the care of the Lord, in whom they had put their trust. 24 Then they traveled back through Pisidia to Pamphylia.

The time came when Paul and Barnabas had to turn their disciples "over to the care of the Lord, in whom they had put their trust." They were not just walking out or abandoning those who started out in their care.  They were handing them over to One far more capable of taking them the whole distance.  God's hands had always been on these new believers as He granted them the faith to trust Him; it was just time for Paul and Barnabas to let go.  God always had them and would continue to guide them - far better than if Paul and Barnabas remained in charge.  As leaders, they had to trust God with their charges. They had plenty of reason to believe God was able.  They themselves had been "turned over" to His care.

 26 Finally, they returned by ship to Antioch of Syria, where their journey had begun. The believers there had entrusted them to the grace of God to do the work they had now completed.

Disciple- making is our calling.  Jesus made it a priority for every believer.  " go and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit. 20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Matthew 28

But he didn't tell us to babysit them.  He said make them. Teach them. And in teaching them, the time will come to release them "over to the care of the Lord" who will do what we never could - be with them always even to the end of the age.  
  

Releasing is an act of faith.  Whether it is releasing my kids to God's care, my Bible study girls, my good friend, or someone even closer.  The time comes in every relationship when we must believe that God's care is greater than ours and turn them over to the care of the Lord, in whom they had put their trust.  To continue to want to be their all in all, their safety net, and their sole authority is to keep them and me from being entrusted into the Grace of God.  When I let go, I let God be God.



 

Day 129 of 365
2 Kings 3
2 Kings 4:1-17
Acts 14:8-28
Psalm 140:1-13
Proverbs 17:22

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST WORD

BIG FAT NO!

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT