LISTEN UP SHEEP

DAY 126: There are two things that make me feel better when I am traveling away from home.  One is the familiar smell of coffee beans when I go into a Starbucks.  It just helps my stress melt away when the aroma hits me as I walk in the door.  I feel better before I even order my Skinny Latte, no foam, extra whip.  The other is the sound of a familiar voice from home.  When I am weary and road worn, a little lonely with miles to go, hearing my husband on the other end of the phone reminds me I'll be home soon. And when I talk to one of my kids - forgetaboutit... It's like home comes to me just hearing their voices.  Those voices are the voices of love and belonging in my life; when I hear them, no matter where I am, I know where I belong.

Over the past three days readings, as I have been preparing for a trip away from the home where I belong, Jesus has been reminding me that His voice is the one to listen for; IF I AM HIS, I WILL HEAR HIS VOICE. I've seen the same message now for three days as In John 10 and 11 Jesus reveal those who hear and those who don't.

Jesus was very clear as He explained why some will follow Him and some will not, using a very familiar analogy to a shepherd.

  John 10:2The one who enters by the gate is the shepherd of the sheep. The gatekeeper opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger’s voice.” 10 The thief comes to kill and destroy.  I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
 14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father —and I lay down my life for the sheep. 

There is so much to embrace in Jesus words.  He is a loving able shepherd.  He knows His own by name. He leads His own. He goes ahead of His. He lays down His life for His beloved sheep. And those who are His know His voice and will follow Him.  His voice is familiar and trustworthy and His sheep know that voice will lead them safely home.  

Not everyone recognized His voice. On the heels of Jesus beautiful declaration that His own know his voice, many refuse to hear Him.
 
19 The Jews who heard these words were again divided. 20 Many of them said, “He is demon-possessed and raving mad. Why listen to him?”

Why listen to him?  They did not recognize His voice as the One God sent to bring life.  People around Jesus have always been divided by those who recognize His voice and those who do not. John 10 continues with more whose ears could find nothing familiar in Jesus voice. 

John 10:24  (Now in Jerusalem at the Temple) The Jews who were there gathered around (Jesus), saying, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Messiah, tell us plainly.”  

25 Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works I do in my Father’s name testify about me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not my sheep. 27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 



For telling them "plainly," those who did not recognize His voice attempted yet again to arrest him, but it was not time yet for anything except those with closed ears to make themselves known.  


Which led to this day, when Jesus received a letter from some dear friends, Mary and Martha. Their brother was sick and close to death and they pleaded with Him to come and to help. So Jesus waited two extra days until Lazarus was dead before he journeyed to their aid, "becuase he loved them, the scriptures said.  It seems a mighty strange way to show your love by waiting until your friend is dead, but Jesus waited nonetheless, even pronouncing "it is for God’s glory so that God’s Son may be glorified through it.”

There is so much to digest in this story but as I read this very familiar passage I focused on what God has been showing me for over the past days: His own hear His voice.  Look closely at the interaction of Jesus with Martha first and then Mary.  If anyone had reason to stop listening to Him it could be these grieving sisters.  They believed Jesus had the power to help, they told  him so.  But they also knew He did not come in time.  Look at how He talks to each one - and how each one even in their immense grief HEARS HIS VOICE.  

Rather than running away from Him in their tragedy, they both run to Him.  Martha hears His familiar voice declare He is the Messiah who IS the resurrection and the life.  Mary hears Him weep at the tragedy of death. They both heard the voice they know so well, had followed so long; they heard Him intervene at the grave, pray to His Father and command life to come from death. 

Jesus previous words came to life:

27 My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.


And as if to remind us all, one more time that Jesus voice is the dividing line, the reactions to this immense event are divided.

 John 11:45 Therefore many of the Jews who had come to visit Mary, and had seen what Jesus did, believed in him. 46 But some of them went to the Pharisees and told them what Jesus had done.
  
Many of those who had followed Mary as she went out to meet Jesus BELIEVED IN HIM.  Others, rejecting their opportunity to be part of His flock, ran away from the Good Shepherd to the thieves themselves. Those who hear His voice, who belong to Him, don't forget who He is in trials and tribulations because they hear His comfort, His love, His compassion and can have confidence in His power and plan.... even in the hardest moments.  


Beyond being thankful that Jesus voice is the voice I follow, I also see the responsibility I have to follow His voice so those who might follow after me will be led to Him.  We all have people who follow us, like Mary's community was follow her as she grieved.  What if in her despair she had run away from the Voice calling to her?  What if she had rejected His words, His presence, His empathy, His tears?  What if she had rejected His unconventional command to unearth her deceased brother?  She didn't; and because she didn't many followed her into the sheepfold of the Great and Good Shepherd.  

No matter my circumstances, I am given the responsibility of following His familiar Voice not only to lead myself toward home, but any who might be following where I go.  


HIS SHEEP KNOW HIS VOICE.

Day 126 of 365
1 Samuel 22
1 Samuel 23
John 10:1-21
Psalm 115:1-18
Proverbs 15:18-19
Day 127 of 365
1 Samuel 24
1 Samuel 25
John 10:22-42
Psalm 116:1-19
Proverbs 15:20-21
Day 128 of 365
1 Samuel 26
1 Samuel 27
1 Samuel 28
John 11:1-54
Psalm 117:1-2
Proverbs 15:22-23

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST WORD

BIG FAT NO!

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT