HOBBY HUNT

-->
     DAY 41:   I have tired many hobbies over the years, but have yet to find one that fits. My search began when I married a man with his own hobby.  Golf didn’t sound very leisurely to me, so as a newlywed I decided I’d learn to sew. That didn't turn out so well.  My first project was an outfit to wear to my husband's graduation.  I worked on it night and day for a week and was still stitching away with the event less than an hour away.  I whipped on the final button at the waist with just enough time to meet my new in-laws at the ceremony. Though I had gotten no sleep that night there was a spring in my step as I paraded my new frock across the crowded parking lot.  My head was held high with pride as the periwinkle taffeta swirled around my knees.  So high in fact, I didn’t notice the taffeta dropping to my ankles - and then the ground!  My pride evaporated as I grabbed it off the asphalt and shimmied back into my skirt.  It was time for a new hobby. I tried gourmet cooking.  When even the dog refused to eat one of my creation I was too humiliated to continue.  I moved on to less domestic and more creative hobbies. First came ceramics, however I am careless and on average, I broke one piece of green-ware for every one I completed.  I tried something less fragile - painting. I long suspected I had the soul of an artist.  Sadly, I didn’t get the talent to go with it. 
     Having no luck with creative hobbies, I decided to try physical ones.  The first was softball. What could be simpler than “hit and run?”  (brain surgery, perhaps?)   On the rare occasions I hit the ball, I was plagued with leg cramps as I sprinted toward first base.  My spirit was willing, but my body was weak. Still I kept trying....  volleyball, biking, gardening, cross stitching, running, singing, skiing and basketball.  I’ll spare you the details, except to say I have no aptitude for any of these.  All I learned was what I can't do. To this day, I am still searching for a hobby that fits.
      Today, however, I was encouraged that while things look bleak on the hobby-front, there is still hope that I can excel in surprising endeavors, especially if I put them in the hands of the Lord. 
 In Exodus 31, Moses was still on the mountain getting specific instruction from God- among them were details for building the Tabernacle and all the aspects that would involve. God was very precise in what He wanted done.  Getting close would not be good enough.  It had to be perfect and exactly as God described it.  Moses didn't have to worry though because God would provide what was needed. 
1 Then the LORD said to Moses, 2 “See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, 3 and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills— 4 to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, 5 to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts. 6 Moreover, I have appointed Oholiab son of Ahisamak, of the tribe of Dan, to help him. Also I have given special ability to all the naturally skilled workers to make everything I have commanded you: 7 the tent of meeting, the ark of the covenant law with the atonement cover on it, and all the other furnishings of the tent— 8 the table and its articles, the pure gold lampstand and all its accessories, the altar of incense, 9 the altar of burnt offering and all its utensils, the basin with its stand— 10 and also the woven garments, both the sacred garments for Aaron the priest and the garments for his sons when they serve as priests, 11 and the anointing oil and fragrant incense for the Holy Place. They are to make them just as I commanded you.” 
            Nowhere does God ever promise to make His people great water skiers.  He doesn't say He will improve a golf swing, give an eye for color or make master bridge players.  But what a wonderful reminder that God can make anyone able to accomplish His calling no matter what is needed.  He gifted gem cutters because gem cutting would bring Him glory. He gifted wood carvers, seamstresses and  silversmiths - all to contribute toward the building of His special house of worship.  So while I may not ever be good at a hobby, I can ask God to let me be part of His purposes - and then I can ask Him to make me able to do what He has called me to.  Whether it is a spiritual gift that is needed or a physical gift,  “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others. …If any one serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.”  1 Peter 4:10-11
     Today I was reminded that no hobby on earth can compare to the thrill of using God’s power to serve God’s people for God’s Glory.

 Day 41 of 365
Exodus 30:11-38
Exodus 31
Matthew 26:47-68
Psalm 32:1-11
Proverbs 8:27-32

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST WORD

BIG FAT NO!

DONKEY EYES