LONG AND WINDING ROAD

DAY 32: I am the queen of short cuts.  If there is a faster way to do something I will find it.  If there is a shorter way to get someplace, I will take it.  I hop lines at the grocery store with zeal in an effort to get in the one moving the fastest.  Perhaps it is impatience; or maybe it is just being efficient, but getting from point A to point B as expeditiously as possible is practically a mission.

My husband is the polar opposite.  For no reason at all he will take the longer route, get in the longer line, and never EVER skip steps when trying to accomplish anything.  He is never in a hurry and figures if doing something in 10 minutes is good, doing it in 30 must equal greatness. And when it comes to driving, he will always choose the meandering scenic route over the quickest one. I just don't understand the man!  More than once he has caught me mumbling under my breath about the time and effort he wastes via his trip planning.

Today, as I was reading about how God lead Israel out of Egypt, I had to laugh imagining that I might react the same way to God's trip planning.  Had I been in charge I would have definitely mapped a faster route to the Promised Land than meandering in the dessert; but God's plan was not about speed or efficiency.

From Exodus 13:
17 When Pharaoh finally let the people go, God did not lead them along the main road that runs through Philistine territory, even though that was the shortest route to the Promised Land. God said, “If the people are faced with a battle, they might change their minds and return to Egypt.” 18 So God led them in a roundabout way through the wilderness toward the Red Sea.

God was far more concerned with what happened on the journey, instead of the length of the journey.  On this first road trip as free people, God knew they needed to avoid a confrontation with a new enemy when they could still see the old one in the rear view mirror.  So he took them on a route away from potential trouble, even if they didn't realize it.  But he also took them toward an obstacle that I certainly would have navigated around.  He intentionally marched them into a situation with no way of escape.

Exodus 14:  1 Then the LORD gave these instructions to Moses: 2 “Order the Israelites to turn back and camp by Pi-hahiroth between Migdol and the sea. Camp there along the shore, across from Baal-zephon. 3 Then Pharaoh will think, ‘The Israelites are confused. They are trapped in the wilderness! '

But that too, had a purpose that had nothing to do with speed.
 
God said:  4And once again I will harden Pharaoh’s heart, and he will chase after you. I have planned this in order to display my glory through Pharaoh and his whole army. After this the Egyptians will know that I am the LORD!” So the Israelites camped there as they were told. 

The rest, as they say, is history.  Pharoah, who heard they had camped at the edge of the sea, sends his entire army to corner Isreal and bring them back into slavery.  God, however, turns a hopeless situation into a display of His power and glory.  He makes a way where there is no way through what appeared to be a mistaken route.

13 But Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand still and watch the LORD rescue you today. The Egyptians you see today will never be seen again. 14 The LORD himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.” 

With that, God parted the entire sea and Isreal escaped to safety walking on the dry sea floor through the midst of the waters.  Safely on the other side, God brought the waters crashing down upon the entire pursuing army of Egypt.

So, what was the result, shall we even say the purpose,  of this round-about route out of Egypt toward the Promised Land?

 31 When the people of Israel saw the mighty power that the LORD had unleashed against the Egyptians, they were filled with awe before him. They put their faith in the LORD and in his servant Moses.

FAITH was the real destination God had in mind all along.  Getting there was not as simple as planning the shortest distance between two points.  What God wanted to accomplish in their lives and in their hearts required a winding road.  

I am reminded by this story that God does not always take the shortest or fastest route to His planned destination for me either.  I may not always understand the life detours; and it might feel like we are on the scenic route rather than the freeway to my plans - but God knows exactly what He wants to accomplish. He knows what He needs to navigate around for my sake, what will display his glory the greatest, and what will ultimately get me to the destination He has in mind with the greatest faith.  

If I am wise, I won't try to take short cuts.  I will trust God to navigate even when it feels like I am meandering on the scenic route.   

What road does God have you on right now? Share your thoughts on the comment link below.

 Day 32 of 365s with God:
Exodus 13:17-22
Exodus 14

Exodus 15:1-18
Matthew 21:23-46
Psalm 26:1-12
Proverbs 6:16-19


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST WORD

BIG FAT NO!

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT