ELECTING LEADER VS. ELECTING TO LEAD

DAY 36:   I am somewhat of a political junkie.  I especially love elections years; I just can't get enough of the campaign news.  I follow the issues and the candidates closely.  Every four years all the hoopla leaves me with one regret when I watch the newest political-wanna-Be's on the stump:  I should have been a speech writer!

I get so aggravated when I watch them fumble around to make their point but getting tripped up by trying to make everyone happy when what they ought to be doing is communicating the right message.  I get swept up into the grandeur of our American political process and the 24-hour news cycle that keeps it in my psyche every waking hour.  I may only be   an armchair pundit but I feel that I have a stake in the process that will yield our next crop of leaders.  After all, what happens if the wrong people get into power?  Hmmm, I guess we have all seen that happen in our lifetimes.  Which is why, whenever elections roll around I am glad that God puts on the brakes of my obsession long enough to remind me of this truth: while leadership is important, my first priority is my own role as a citizen. 

In reading Exodus 21-23 today, I got a first had look at how a new society was set up.  As these former slaves were learning to be a self-governing nation, God set out some parameters by which each individual could take personal responsibility for civil behavior.  These new "laws" were incredibly specific and covered everything from accidental injuries, to murder, to robbery, to personal liability on your own property.  Everyday activities were given order including lending and borrowing, safe-deposits, and caring for crops.  Even social justice was addressed with laws about providing for the poor, the widows and orphans.

They had never before been under their own rule and so every single topic of interaction, responsibility and obligation needed to be addresses.  But here is the fascinating part:  God didn't tell them to hold elections or form a committee to determine how to behave.  Instead, God told them how He wanted them to behave.  In the context of specific laws  and mandates about mundane and worldly things, God showed how the people could reflect His heart, His values and His priorities.  And by holding each person responsible to live in a obedience to these priorities, He also gave each and every person a chance to imitate Him.  

A time would come for leaders.  A purpose would be served through leadership.  For Israel, this was a time to learn how each individual could please God by following after His heart every day.  In this season when I am tempted to think the world will turn, good or bad solely on our leadership choices, God reminded me that the world actually turns on the choices His people make to follow Him in everyday life. 

While it's important to use those priorities to help elect Godly men and women to lead America and the world, my greatest responsibility is to be sure that in my everyday life I am living in ways that follow the example Christ set when He came and replaced the laws of Moses with the laws written on our very heart by His Holy Spirit living within us.  

What does He want from me, or any of us but to love the Lord our God with all our hearts,  soul, mind and strength and to love our neighbor as ourselves.  That sums up the whole law- at least the law that matters to God.  (Matthew 22:37) 

So no matter who gets elected the laws God has told me to live by will never change.

That is the best way I will ever have of changing my world or anyone else's!  What difference is it making in your life?

Day 36 of 365 days with God:
Exodus 21:22-36
Exodus 22
Exodus 23:1-13

Matthew 24:1-28
Psalm 29:1-11
Proverbs 7:6-23


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST WORD

BIG FAT NO!

DONKEY EYES