PARALYSIS of ANALYSIS

DAY 161: When I was a kid, one of my favorite games was to make believe I had a genie who would grant me three wishes.  Of course, every genie had the caveat that you can't use your third wish to ask for more wishes.  No self respecting genie would fall for that.  Asking for the first two wishes was never a problem.  When you have three it is easy to squander the first ones on frivolous requests.  A flying bed, an endless supply of double chocolate ice cream, talking stuffed animals, and a tree house with a swimming pool filled with dolphins all easily make the cut for wish one and two. It was that all important last pretend wish I could never decide on. With just one chance to get it right and no more chances, the pressure was too much.  Even in my imagination I never could choose a last wish.

I thought about that game when I read how Solomon had the chance to ask God for anything he wanted as he was beginning his reign as king over Israel. This was far from a wish granted by a genie and it wasn't a game; I imagine that the young king felt immense pressure to make the right choice. I know that the bigger the need in my own life, sometimes the harder it is to know what to pray because the stakes seem so great.  Like a kid with just one chance to get it right, there are times when I can't even imagine what the right request should be. Surely Solomon's situation could be considered high stakes. So how would he decide?

As Solomon was assuming authority of the kingdom passed to him by his father David, he began by calling all of Israel together at the tented Tabernacle to worship God and make offerings.

2 Chronicles 1:7 That night God appeared to Solomon and said to him, “Ask for whatever you want me to give you.”

God is no genie.  He was not obligated to give Solomon anything.  Instead, He chose to enter into a relationship with Solomon and to provide for Him. Whatever his heart desired, God would give it.  Solomon had only to ask it of God.  The pressure must have been immense and Solomon's needs were also great.  He was a new king trying to assert his authority in his own kingdom and in the region.  He was following in the footsteps of a mighty warrior. He was also very young and must have desired all the things that young men pursue: wealth, love, power, respect. With God offering to grant him whatever he asked, what desire would win out?

Solomon answered God, “You have shown great kindness to David my father and have made me king in his place. Now, Lord God, let your promise to my father David be confirmed, for you have made me king over a people who are as numerous as the dust of the earth. 10 Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?”

Not fleet of chariots. Not a great harem. Not a bigger kingdom.  Solomon asked for wisdom to take care of all that God had already put in his care.  Knowing the rest of the story can diminish the sacrificial nature of Solomon's prayers. Being familiar with the story of how God granted his request PLUS he also gave him "riches, wealth, and honor such as no other king has ever had before or ever will have again"it is easy to overlook all the things he DID NOT ask God to provide.  

While God graciously gave abundantly more than Solomon could ask or imagine, it started with Solomon resisting the paralysis of analysis.  He didn't ask God for more time to think about it, or tell God he could never narrow it down to one thing, or take a poll, or attend a prayer gathering to get a consensus.  He didn't even leave it to God to decide.  He looked at his circumstances, evaluated his need rather than his want, and he asked God for what was upper most in his heart. What a great example of how to ask of God.

2 Chronicles 1:11 God said to Solomon, “Since this is your heart’s desire and you have not asked for wealth, possessions or honor, nor for the death of your enemies, and since you have not asked for a long life but for wisdom and knowledge to govern my people over whom I have made you king, 12 therefore wisdom and knowledge will be given you. And I will also give you wealth, possessions and honor, such as no king who was before you ever had and none after you will have.”

I can't help but recall that before God came to Solomon, Solomon had gone to God to worship and sacrifice.  The desires of Solomon's heart were shaped by his relationship with God, and his desire to worship and obey God. When that is the case, we can trust God to give and grant us the desires of our heart because He himself dwells in that heart. If I am struggling with what to ask God, the key is to spend more time with Him so that His heart becomes my heart.  

In the meantime, I don't have to worry that there won't be enough "asks" when it comes to seeking God's blessings. For "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him."(1 Corinthians 2:9)


2 Chronicles 1
2 Chronicles 2
2 Chronicles 3
Romans 6
Psalm 16:1-11
Proverbs 19:20-21






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LAST WORD

BIG FAT NO!

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT