ALL ABOUT ME?

DAY 13: I had to laugh last week at a post that a young college student I know put on her facebook status.  She wrote:  "I just can't understand why the world does not revolve around me!"

I laughed, but I can totally relate.  Like most of us, I get up every day and think about what's on my plate. I plan what I am going to do to accomplish my goals.  And... realistic or not, I think everyone I run into ought to be thinking about the same thing... me!  Even if they don't, I do what I can to work things according to my plan. And to be honest, most of the time I'm pretty successful.  With a little creativity, hard work and cunning, I often get my way.  I'm not bragging; just stating facts.

In fact, if anything, life has taught me there are distinct disadvantages to getting my way too often.  When I succeed at working my will from my own effort, I don't leave room for God to work His will.  Now let's think... which one is really going to benefit me the most.

God showed me once again as I met with Him today that I need to remember it really isn't about me - even when its' about me.

In reading Genesis 28, I got to see a man who I have a lot in common with.  Jacob, the younger son of Isaac, had a habit of getting his way.  By seizing on circumstances, manipulating, and outright lying he made sure that things always turned out to his advantage.  But his effort was only going to get him so far... even with his mom's help.  As he was fleeing from the anger of his brother who he cheated out of his dad's blessing, he stopped along the way to rest on his journey to his uncle's house.  While he was sleeping God met him and set him straight.

13 ... the LORD...  said, “I am the LORD, the God of your grandfather Abraham, and the God of your father, Isaac. The ground you are lying on belongs to you. I am giving it to you and your descendants. 14 Your descendants will be as numerous as the dust of the earth! They will spread out in all directions—to the west and the east, to the north and the south. And all the families of the earth will be blessed through you and your descendants. 15 What’s more, I am with you, and I will protect you wherever you go. One day I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have finished giving you everything I have promised you.” 

Up to this point it had been "the Jacob show."  God was showing him that anything meaningful that would come about in his life would be the result of what God did.  The Lord said: I will give; I am with you; I will protect; I will bring back; I will not leave; I will finish.  To his credit, Jacob's response was to worship God.

There are days. like my college friend, when I need a reminder that the world can't revolve around me because it is already revolving around the Son, and His Father.  I can rest in knowing that as it does, they are looking out for me in ways I can never even imagine. I would do well to let my life revolve around them. 

Share what you are hearing from God on your One Year Journey...

And tune in every Sunday night for a live God-conversation at www.KSBJ.org 7-9pm CST.  Just click the LISTEN LIVE link on the top of that web page.

 Day 13 of 365
Genesis 28
Genesis 29
Matthew 9:18-38
Psalm 11:1-7
Proverbs 3:11-12


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BIG FAT NO!

THE LAST WORD

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT