ME, MYSELF and I

DAY 11: I have the world's worst memory.  I not only forget names and faces, I forget where I've been and what I've done.  My friend is always saying to me, "Remember last time we were here and ..." She could say just about anything but my answer is usually the same.  "No, I don't remember that."

I also have a hard time remembering what I wanted to buy once I get to a store; or worse, I often can't even remember why I walk from one room to another in my house.  I have to stop and think, usually retracing my steps to trigger my memory.  I would not go so far as to call my condition a disability, but certainly it is a disadvantage.

I know this frustrates the people around me so I do what I can to improve.  What I have found most effective is talking to myself.  Since I am an auditory learner, it helps me to hear as much as possible.  So I repeat names when I meet people, but that is just the start.  I also talk to myself when I am alone.

"Okay, Kim, you need to go to the garage and get some duct tape."
"Milk, butter and eggs; that's what I need. What do I need, Kim? Milk, butter and eggs."
"Don't forget to mail the electric bill when you go to the bank.  What happens if I forget, Kim.  I know, I will be putting on my makeup by candle light because they will shut off my electricity."

It may sound crazy, but hearing me tell myself what I need to do, or remember, helps my mind grab hold of things much better.  I've trained myself to listen to me so I can get through the day a little better. Unfortunately, sometimes when ME, MYSELF and I get together to give me advice instead of just make a list,  the results are not so great. Turns out I don't give myself the best advice.  Can you relate? Well, we are not the only ones.

Today through Psalms and Proverbs, God talked to me about the risks of becoming my own advisor and leaving Him out of the conversation.  He showed me what happens when people talk to themselves about who God is and what He is like, without asking Him for input.  The result is some pretty confused thinking and spiritual forgetfulness:

PSALM 10:  4 These wicked people are too proud to seek God.  They seem to think that God is dead. ...6 They say to themselves, "Nothing bad will ever happen to us! We will be fee of trouble forever!"  ... "The wicked say to themselves, "God isn't watching! He will never notice!"

They sound pretty convinced by their own argument... as I sometimes do when I want my own way and only listen to me, myself and I.

But God has some advice if we are tempted to seek only our own great council:

PROVERBS 3:7-8  : Don't be impressed with your own wisdom.  Instead, fear the Lord and then turn your back on evil. 

Often the worst counselor we have is ourselves.  In thinking we are so wise, we can actually disable ourselves from finding truth.  In the future, I think I will let ME stick to lists, MYSELF help with names, and I can help me remember where I parked my car at the mall.  But for the really important things, all three of us will look to God first for wisdom. It's His voice I really need to hear.

I'M SO GLAD I MET WITH GOD TODAY?  SHARE SOMETHING YOU LEARNED ON YOUR JOURNEY WITH GOD TODAY?  AND SHARE THIS BLOG WITH A FRIEND USING THE LINK BELOW...  See you tomorrow.

And tune in every Sunday night for a live God-conversation at www.KSBJ.org at 7pm CST.  Just click the LISTEN LIVE link on the top of that web page.  

Day 11 of 365
Genesis 24:52-67
Genesis 25
Genesis 26:1-16
Matthew 8:18-34
Psalm 10:1-15
Proverbs 3:7-8


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BIG FAT NO!

THE LAST WORD

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT