TITANIC SECRETS

DAY 7: I love the movie Titanic. My favorite character is Rose, but not the young Rose who, through questionable choices, finds her independence and then her freedom.  I adore the old Rose; the one who after a lifetime looks back and admits that, "A woman's heart is deep ocean of secrets."

I think I love her because though she had so many experiences and such a history of powerful lessons learned, she didn't feel the need to share the deepest places of her heart.  She was content to let them ruminate in her soul drawing on the power of those secrets as she embraced her future.  She guarded treasured secrets from people who might add their own interpretation. It turns out, that fictional character was on to something. 

As I listen to God today, He reminded me that some secrets really should be kept.  From Matthew 6 Jesus said that giving, praying, and fasting are all things that are best done in secret.



6:1“Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

When we keep them to ourselves, they are guarded from the view of others who might miss our  intent and try to add their own interpretation.  Perhaps they will admire our generosity, or they may judgmentally think we are only looking for praise.  To share these "secret" acts of righteousness leaves us at risk of taking our eyes off of our audience of One and instead performing such deeds for the eyes of the many.

Far better, Jesus said, to "give our gifts in secret, and your Father, who knows all secrets, will reward you."

If I take Jesus words to heart, then I should indeed have a deep ocean of secrets that are shared only with Him, instead of a vast shoreline of deeds that others trample over. Keeping a secret is a delicious thing that bonds closely those intimate enough to share it so privately.  How much more might we treasure our pure acts of expressing Christ's love to others if we even guarded the simple things from public proclomation? Do I need to make sure others know I "served my time" in the church nursery? Does the joy diluted when an act as simple as helping a neighbor, giving to a charity, lending a listening ear, or forgiving an offense is trumpeted indiscriminately? 

I think I prefer the intimate experience of keeping secrets that only my heavenly Father and I share together.  He and He alone can interpret the meaning and motives of all that is stored in the secret places of my soul. And who doesn't delight in sharing wonderful secrets with a best Friend.  So today, I will be content to whisper those things in the ear of the only One "who knows all secrets." Matthew 6:18

WHAT WONDERFUL SECRET DID GOD SHARE WITH YOU AS YOU MET WITH HIM TODAY?

Join our community on facebook HERE.

And tune in every Sunday night for a live God-conversation at www.KSBJ.org at 7pm CST.  Just click the LISTEN LIVE link on the top of that web page.

Day 7 of 365
Genesis 16
Genesis 17
Genesis 18:1-15
Matthew 6:1-24
Psalm 7:1-17
Proverbs 2:1-5


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BIG FAT NO!

THE LAST WORD

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT