AND PLAYING THE PART OF GOD...

DAY 26: I've said it once and I'll say it again: I love reading in the Old Testament.  On the one hand it is a history book that explains the context in which Jesus entered humanity.  But it is history brought to life through the stories of individual people encountering God in a variety of circumstances.  Perhaps none of the books are more thrilling than Genesis and Exodus.  I find it a page turner every time I read it.  And then just when I am content to read a fascinating story about fascinating people, God reaches out and speaks to my heart in ways that make a difference in my life today.

There I was, enjoying reading about the traumas in Moses life as he was first born under a death sentence, rescued from a basket in the river, raised by royalty, committed murder in rage, ran for his life, found love in the dessert and then encountered God in a blazing bush.  It has all the makings of a great drama.  In fact, in my theatrical mind, I often visualize the action as I read.  I even cast the parts.  In today's passages, I see Leonardo Dicaprio as Moses.  The part of Pharaoh is played by Patrick Stewart.  Zipporah, Moses love interest has to be Julia Roberts.  And her father Jethro, in my mind's reenactment is Samuel L. Jackson.  I can't explain that, but that is what is great about imagination.  It doesn't have to be logical.

Besides, the characters I imagine aren't important. As Shakespeare would say, "the plays the thing."  It's the story unfolding that is fascinating because while I may dramatize them, what makes the Old Testament stories powerful is that they are true.  More than that, every single one is a tool of God to reveal Himself. Today, as I was in the middle of Moses story, that is exactly what He did - He took my eyes off Moses so I could see Him.

As God was meeting with Moses on that mountain, speaking through that bush, He wasn't telling Moses what Moses was going to do so much as He was telling Moses what He himself was going to do.  Israel had "cried our for help, and their pleas for deliverance rose up to God.  God heard their cries and remember his covenant promise..."  Now He was ready to reveal what He would do.  Moses job was to simply announce that God's intervention had arrived.  God would be doing the real work.

From Exodus 3:
7 Then the LORD told him, “I have certainly seen the oppression of my people in Egypt. I have heard their cries of distress because of their harsh slave drivers. Yes, I am aware of their suffering. 8 So I have come down to rescue them from the power of the Egyptians and I will lead them out of Egypt into their own fertile and spacious land. 9 Look! The cry of the people of Israel has reached me, and I have seen how harshly the Egyptians abuse them. 10 Now go, for I am sending you to Pharaoh. You must lead my people Israel out of Egypt. . .  12 God answered, “I will be with you. And this is your sign that I am the one who has sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God at this very mountain. . . 14 God replied to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.[d] Say this to the people of Israel: I AM has sent me to you. . . 16I have been watching closely, and I see how the Egyptians are treating you. 17 I have promised to rescue you from your oppression in Egypt. I will lead you to a land flowing with milk and honey. . . 19 “But I know that the king of Egypt will not let you go unless a mighty hand forces him.[f] 20 So I will raise my hand and strike the Egyptians, performing all kinds of miracles among them. Then at last he will let you go. 21 And I will cause the Egyptians to look favorably on you. "

God made it very clear He would be doing the important work.  So what was Moses role?  Read it and you will notice Moses was told to: gather the leaders of Israel and tell them what God said, deliver the message to Pharaoh, lead the march out of Egypt after God rescues them, come back to that mountain and worship God with the people.  Compared to what God would do, Moses was a messenger and a trail guide.  To be sure, both were dangerous and enormous tasks in those circumstances; and Moses was full of faith to obey.  But I am struck as I read the story afresh that GOD DID THE WORK OF CARRYING OUT HIS OWN WILL. Moses simply cooperated. 

My script needs a rewrite.... And playing the part of God will be.... GOD! Only God can play the part of God, and I'm not talking about a movie.  In my life, no matter how much I think I have to be clever, strong, wise, prepared.... the truth is, I only need to be willing to follow God faithfully.  If He has a purpose for me, He will work through me to accomplish it if I cooperate as Moses did.  It is only when I try to cast myself in the role of the Hero of the story, the star, (dare I say, the god of my life) that the whole production will be a flop.


Today I was reminded to let God be God in the story of my life!

What did you discover as you read God's Word today?  SHARE IT WITH US & SHARE THIS BLOG WITH A FRIEND.  

Day 26 of 365 days in God's Word:  Read a little or a lot... but get started today.
Exodus 2:11-25
Exodus 3
Matthew 17:10-27
Psalm 22:1-18
Proverbs 5:7-14


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

BIG FAT NO!

THE LAST WORD

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT