GOD AND TIM TEBOW

DAY 14: Last year at this time Superbowl fever was epidemic, but as the game was nearing kick off the big question was not who will win and who will lose, but the media was asking, "Is God a Bronco's Fan?"  They asked a similar question about Texas A&M when Johnny Football, a Christian, won the Heisman recently.

It has been fascinating watching the world's response to a couple of young men consistently thanking God. Clearly it is such a rare public occasion no one knows what it means.  Is Tim Tebow's remarkable string of comebacks a result of God suiting up and joining the game?  Does Tebow have some kind of mystical hotline to God?  Does God like the Bronco's more than the other teams? Was it intervention from God that put the Heisman in the hands of a freshman football player, a never before accomplished feat? Was Johnny Manziel God's pic?

It's funny to watch all the gyrations to interpret what has been happening.  Today I heard the question asked:  If God gets credit for Tebow's wins, does he get the blame for his losses?  I guess that is as good a question as any other being asked by media types. Which, by my estimation, are all pretty lame questions.  In Tebow's words, "At the end of the day, it's just a game."

So what is God's role in the Tebow situation? Or Manziel's? As I met with God today reading Matthew 10, I think I found the answer. For the first time, Jesus was about to send out his disciples to announce to the people that the Kingdom of God was near.  He gave them some practical travel instructions and then He told them bluntly what to expect:

16 “Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves. 17 But beware! For you will be handed over to the courts and will be flogged with whips in the synagogues. 18 You will stand trial before governors and kings because you are my followers. But this will be your opportunity to tell the rulers and other unbelievers about me.[e] 19 When you are arrested, don’t worry about how to respond or what to say. God will give you the right words at the right time. 20 For it is not you who will be speaking—it will be the Spirit of your Father speaking through you.

As I think about how it must feel to be Tim Tebow or Johnny Manziel, constantly mocked on late night shows and by TV commentators and even having witches show up to cast a spell on you in Tebow's case, it may feel like being a sheep among wolves.  But the advice Jesus gives his disciples in that situation (which seem to fit these guys), is basically carpe diem...sieze the day!  While you are out taking care of business, make the most of the opportunity of the eyes and ears that are on you.... it's your opportunity to talk about me, Jesus said.  He even promised to help by giving the right words at the right time. He didn't even mention succeeding or failing out in the field.


Jesus wasn't keeping score.  He didn't guarantee they would win people to believe in Christ, win popularity or earn fame.  Nope... in fact, while they certainly had some success, it was likely to go badly in most towns they visited.  Does that mean God was only with them when they won?  It seems He was with them either way, when they lost or won because the promise was about how they would seize the spotlight.  I just keep thinking that Tim Tebow has figured that out, as have some other Christians of notoriety and fame.  He has certainly seized the day to honor Christ no matter what the score - win or lose.  And no matter what the response from the crowds.

Today God asked me if I was doing the same.  Do I only say, "God is good!" when things are going my way?  Am I silent when things go bad so I don't have to blame Him or explain Him?  Or, like our NFL friend, am I just taking care of business to the best of my abilities and telling the truth about God in ALL circumstances.  

God can handle the scrutiny of a world who counts worth by wins and losses.  That is His business.  My job is to let my life speak about Him to a world with lots of questions.  I'm glad I was reminded of that today.

What do you think?

And tune in every Sunday night for a live God-conversation at www.KSBJ.org at 6pm CST.  Just click the LISTEN LIVE link on the top of that web page. 

Day 14 of 365
Genesis 30
Genesis 31:1-16
Matthew 10:1-23
Psalm 12:1-8
Proverbs 3:13-15

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BIG FAT NO!

THE LAST WORD

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT