HEROES WITH TRUE GRIT

Day 18: I am a huge John Wayne fan.  Growing up, he was the only hero I had and the only star I ever wrote a fan letter to.  I loved everything about him.  I love his swagger.  His sideways "I dare you" look.  His awesome one liners that I still quote today.  When my kids are running late, I call out, "Come on, we're burnin' daylight." If one sasses, I remind them, "You better smile when you say that, mister."  Or perhaps I'll respond, "You're short on ears and long on mouth, son." After all, "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do." Or in my case... a mom!


Really, what's not to admire about the man. He was a hero with True Grit. He never lost his cool, and rarely lost a fight. His characters, which of course I equate with him, were tough but fair, proud but wise, rowdy but not raunchy.  He played flawed men who seemed to always find the better self.  And he never ever backed down.  Isn't that what a hero is suppose to be like?

Maybe not. As the years have passed, and The Duke long gone with them, I have come to expect more of my heroes.  I still LOVE John Wayne and have the movie collection to prove it, but only children expect their heroes to be able to ride up on a white steed and save the day.  I've come to realize that the real heroes in my life are some amazing people all around me. Too often, though, I forget to appreciate them.

Today, as I was talking over things with God, He reminded me to do just that:

PSALM 16:   3 The godly people in the land are my true heroes! I take pleasure in them! 

I am privileged to know some "godly" people who live in my land.  They don't have shiny six shooters, or say quotable quips, or command the respect of all around them.  Instead, they are distinguished for their noble qualities, faith, and love.  Like my dear friend, who despite being wronged won't pray against the offender.  Instead, she prays God himself will meet her needs His way.  Or another "hero" who is always there to volunteer if anyone is in need, but does it so unpretentiously others rarely notice.  Another who sits tall in the saddle is actually a warrior - a prayer warrior. She has led a band of fierce woman to storm the gates of heaven weekly for 50 years intervening so the gospel can reach places we've never heard of.  Heroes are those I know who suffer in a myriad of ways, but consistently have praise and not complaint on their lips. Even my own daughter is often my hero for the way she sets the needs of those (albeit, not her brother) ahead of herself.  You could say all these "characters" have their own kind of Godly Grit.

These are the kind of heroes I aspire to be.  I may admire who John Wayne pretended to be on screen, but I can try to live out the godly character my real life heroes show me every single day.  To quote the Word God shared with me today, "I take pleasure in them!"

Who is your hero in the land?  Tell us about it here.  

Day 18 of 365
Genesis 37
Genesis 38
Matthew 12:22-45
Psalm 16:1-11
Proverbs 3:27-32

Comments

  1. Praise the Lord for godly heroes in our daily lives. You are a godly hero to so many, including me. Thanks for sharing Gods Word the way you do.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

BIG FAT NO!

THE LAST WORD

WHEN YOU'RE READY TO SPLIT